Six of the recipients, out of a state total of 18, are members of the Mornington Yacht Club. The scholarships are awarded to talented athletes based on national and international performances, and MYC’s over representation is testament to its successful Training and Development Program.
Three of the six will now become a part of the Australian Sailing Futures Program, which recognises their potential to become Olympic sailors in the next four to eight years. Recipients have access to coaching support and the training program includes regular gym work as well as medical and physiotherapy services.
The scholarship winners are:
- Jack Eickmeyer (17) will represent Australia in the World Youth Championships in the Netherlands over the winter.
- Lachie Weber (17) ran a close second to Jack in the Laser class sail off to select the Australian representative for the Youth Worlds.
- Sophie Jackson (22) has been a leader in the Club’s sail training program and is a former World Champion in the Aero class. She is sailing in a number of World Cup events in Europe over the winter as a member of the Australian Futures Program with the objective of gaining Olympic selection in the mixed 470 dinghy class.
- James Jackson (17) was named by Australian Sailing as the Australian Youth Sailor of the Year in 2021 and a former National title holder in the 420 Class.
- Lily and Matilda Richardson (19) are former Australian representatives in the World Youth Championships. They are now sailing in the 49er FX Olympic class as members of the Australian Futures Program and will be competing in a number of world cup events in Europe in the next few months.
Although these young sailors are reaching for the pinnacle of the sport, the club has initiated programs to get people young and old just to experience the pleasure sailing provides, from the innovative TrySail, a free introduction for eight- to 10-year-olds, through to those wishing to get out on a Thursday evening for a fun race around the ‘sticks’ on a keelboat.
Contact Mornington Yacht Club on (03)5975 7001 or go to the website at morningtonyc.net.au for more information on the wide range of sailing options available.
By Peter Davey,
MYC Marketing Committee Chair